Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Journal Entry: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Time: 11:39 PM

Boa Tarde!

So its T-minus 3 weeks and counting to Departure, and I've been busy getting my affairs in order here. The labyrinthine process of preparing to leave the country for 2 years will drive you daffy, as I've discovered these past few weeks. Visas, passport, student loan deferrals, voter registration changes, income tax forms, medical documentation, life insurance, privacy waivers, travel insurance, will, storage, power of attorney, blah, blah, blah. I believe my ducks are aligned, but fear I've forgotten something important. Note to Peace Corps: Develop Final Departure Checklist. Other than that, my main source of anxiety is paring down my 2 years worth of luggage to the 80lbs weight limit. Also Ivan. Also there is still a ton of stuff on my "Must Do This Before I Leave" list. Hopefully more progress will be made there after I've quit work.

In related news, I recently received a tentative "schedule of innoculations," from Peace Corps, and eagerly await shots in the arm and/or ass for: schistosomiasis, filiariasis, Polio, MMR, yellow fever, malaria, and intestinal parasites. I CAN'T WAIT to get sick! I have it on good authority that the malaria pills are going to give us all crazy freaky dreams. Outstanding.

Also received from Peace Corps is my new temporary address. If anyone cares to write me during my pre-service training, my address, at least for the first 3 months, is below. Mind you the mail takes nearly 3 weeks to get there...if I'm lucky. For anyone TRULY motivated, Peace Corps suggests that you "request that your post office route mail to Cape Verde through Boston, where they are more familiar with the difficulties of postal service in Cape Verde." Uhhh? Wha? Not sure how much a letter costs to send, but I've looked into package rates and they're mortally expensive. (I believe the squarest deal to be a flat rate padded envelope, "Freight Delivery," by the Unites States Post Office...for those of you inclined to send a Care Package.) In any event, I've heard that language and cultural training is taking place Out in the Sticks...even by Cape Verdean standards...and that our phone and internet access may be imponderable for those intital 3 months, the idea being that total immersion and a Clean Break are the best ways to go about that sorta thing. Course it could turn out completely opposite.

Caley McCormick, PCT
A/C Corpo da Paz
C.P. 373 - Praia
Republic of Cape Verde
--via Portugal--

Anyways. Less than 20 days to go now. Bring Me My Brown Pants!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well man one things for sure, your about to have the biggest adventure of your life!!! For what its worth I think it takes a lot of guts to do this and it will be worth any hardships in the end. Good luck brother and stay safe...look me up when you get back to the states (if you decide to come back that is!!)

Your friend always,

Gilbo