Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Cha di Igresia


This is a picture of what I hope will be the town I get posted to, taken from the roof of what I hope will be my house. Although it´s only about 4 miles as the crow flies, itºs about a 45 minute drive up the mountain and back down the other side to get to Punto di Sol, where the nearest volunteer would be. (If anyone is looking at a map it is the Northern most point of the northern most island.) From Cha di Igresia, it is a 20 minute hike down the mountain to the ocean, which you can see in the background. The crystal blue waters and black sand beach there are completely inaccessible except by boat or via a 4 hour hike from Punto di Sol...consequently it is almost always deserted, and will be a perfect place to get dragged around by my kite. There are only about 400 people in the town, with another 1500 or so in the outlying area. It might be a little small, but it´s beautiful. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! Iºll post more pics of Santo Antao once Iºve resized them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers are crossed. If you get the house you want, will it be peach colored? Does the city always look sort of lush or is that becasue of the time of year?

Anonymous said...

Caley! I'm loving reading your blogs! You make me want to join the Peace Corp.. damn the car payments. Take care!