Saturday, September 22, 2007

Short Update

So I went poking around on that beach the other day, and found a really cool cave. It’s like something of a Pirate’s of the Caribbean movie or something. It goes back about 60 feet from the ocean and you can crawl all the way around to the other side. When the waves come crashing in there, it generates this thunderous booming noise, and huge wall of ocean spray. Here are a few pics. So cool.

Sorry I haven’t written much lately, but I’ve been busy preparing lesson plans. I’m going to start teaching computer literacy classes and English classes next month. Also, the Assciacao (sort of like a local government organization) that I’m working with would like me to try to figure out a way to buy a school bus for the town. OK.

Turns out all the kids here have to pay 400$00 a day to get a hiace to school and back, and that works out to about half a year’s total income for most families. Consequently, almost no kids from my village finish the school year. I’ve been working on a grant proposal to send out to all the development/charity organizations that I can find addresses for, but the proposal is in Portuguese, so it’s taking me a while. If anyone knows someone in Cape Verde who’s selling a bus for REAL cheap, lemmie know!

Other than that, I’ve been playing a lot of guitar at night with the guys from my village, hiking down to Cruzinha and going for a swim almost every morning, buying stuff for my house, and just trying to get to know the people in my village. The weather is hot, but beautiful. Got a little rain the past few days, and everything is already turning green. One of the other volunteers and her mom came to stay with me last weekend, and some other volunteers were here during the week, and on both occasions, we fixed nice dinners. Also, this weekend, a few more volunteers are coming up to stay for a night or two. That’s all the news I’ve got for now.

Hope everyone is safe and happy. For those of you who wrote to say you didn’t believe that I was actually making my own flour tortillas, here’s the evidence…

Take Care of Each Other

No comments: