Sunday, September 2, 2007

Swear In!!

Swear In!!!

So I’m no longer a trainee, as yesterday we were sworn in by the US Ambassador to Cape Verde, and now I’m an official volunteer! The ceremony was really nice with lots of speakers (myself and another gal from our group included), the little girls batuku group from Txan di Tanki, and some really bad-ass lanxi (snacks) afterwards. Apparently, my speech (and my very awesome Kriolu accent) was a real hit, because afterwards, a whole series of events happened that made my head swell up real big.
First of all there were lots of old ladies, and even a few grown men, crying during nha diskurso (my speech). Then when it was over, the news crews came up and asked me to talk on camera for the national news broadcast. After crapping my pants, I asked our country director if it would be OK, and he said sure, just watch what I say. Sweet. After that, the Ambassador came up to me and said some very kind words, and introduced me to a guy that runs a very prestigious program called the Millennium Challenge. We as volunteers had already learned quite a bit about it, but he gave me some specific project examples that are currently underway on my island. Notice how I said “my” island? Essentially, the US donates huge amounts of money to fund worthy projects in developing countries, provided those countries meet some tough standards regarding transparency of accounting, demonstrated need and benefit, etc. They’re currently building some roads and bridges on Santo Antao, as well as working with micro-credit and micro-finance, agricultural extensions, etc.
Anyway, he encouraged me to call him once I was settled into my new place, and suggested we could talk about some ways to get me involved in those projects. This was a really great thing to hear, because I feel like if I do a great job here, and keep in touch with guys like these, I’ll have gotten my foot into a very important door, as far as development work goes. By the end of the day I was pretending to be very busy and important.
After all the shenanigans (including a very upsetting and tearful goodbye with Palmeira), we were shuttled off to Praia, where we spent the night before leaving this morning for out sites. We flew from Praia to the island of Sao Vicente at 6AM today, with an obscene amount of luggage (and paid equally obscene overweight luggage fees), and very little sleep. After arriving in Mindelo, I went off to ranja (arrange) some dishes and pots and pans for my new place, only to find out that I had missed the boat to Santo Antao (you can only get there by boat). We were told before I left that there would be another boat in the afternoon, but it isn’t coming after all. Anyway, works out well enough for me, as I’ve got a hotel room in Mindelo all to myself for the day and the night, and I’ll be able to shower and shave and look presentable for my meeting with my counterpart tomorrow.
Mindelo is a beautiful city by any standards. Beautiful sparkling blue water and white sandy beaches populated by ridiculously gorgeous Cape Verdians, quaint shops, restaurants, boutiques, music and art studios, coffee houses, hotels, internet cafes, dance clubs and bars…it’s hard to believe it’s in the same country as Txan di Tanki. I spent the day drinking coffee and wandering the streets, window shopping and fantasizing about all the things I wants and can’t afford. It was a great day.
Anyway, that’s what’s new with me. Other than all the sadness from leaving Txan di Tanki behind, I’m feeling good, nervous, excited, optimistic and confident…all at the same time. Starting tomorrow, I’ll be cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, traveling, etc., all by myself, which is a daunting challenge, but one I feel like I’m prepared for after 2 months of cultural, language, safety, technical and medical training. I guess we’ll see.
So, I thought I’d close by attaching a copy of my speech in Kriolu. I was going to translate into English for you guys at home, but then I realized that you’ll probably be able to get the main points on your own.
I should have a new address (that will be good for a couple months until I get a post office box established) this week, so if there’s anyone that’s got a hankerin’ for sending me a care package, one would CERTAINLY be appreciated. Don’t forget I’ve got a birthday coming up! Cooking stuff (mostly spices), candy, gum, school supplies, and books are in SHORT supply here.

All My Love and All My Best.

1 comment:

CuteNQueer John said...

Finally a new post! Although not the one I was promised (first date); it's still great knowing you're alive, doing well, and making the lives of those students better. Congrats on becoming "official" and the success of your project. BTW your birthday isn't until Nov. 5th! Surely packages sent in October will arrive by then! I hope...