Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Guitar String S.O.S.!!!

So I just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who might happen to be reading...I could REALLY use some guitar strings. In my town, the easiest, quickest, best way to make friends and learn the language is for me to go to the plaza in the evenings with my guitar and sit down and start playing. Within minutes, more guitars start coming out of the woodwork and before long, there'll be a whole passel of folks all gathered around for a tokatinha (jam session). Anyway, I brought 2 extra string sets with me from home, but ran through the first one during training, and the second set is already on its last legs. (There is a LOT of guitar playing going on around here.) You'd think that with all this guitar playing going on, there's be someplace or someone that sells strings here right? As far as getting strings here in Cape Verde...I've asked everyone I know and checked EVERYWHERE on this island, and they are not to be found. The closest place to get them (according to everyone) is in Mindelo, on the next island over, and I've been told that they're very expensive (more than in the states) and of a very poor quality.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take pity on me, head down to your local guitar or instrument store and ask for "a pack of Bright (or Phosphour) Bronzed, Medium Guage, acoustic guitar strings." They range anywhere from $6 to $20, but I always get something in the $12 range. At most places, strings are 2 for 1 deals, so $12 actually gets you 2 sets of strings. K, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Hope Everyone Is Well and Taking Good Care of Each Other.

1 comment:

Sharon Christopher said...

I went shopping today with a note with the info. from your blog to make sure I got the right thing....Look for the "strings" in Daron's next box.....They will be wrapped in birthday paper...