Friday, October 12, 2007

Toytle (A Big One!!)

Toytle!! (A Big One)

So I went to Cruzinha yesterday in search of a functioning fax machine (there is a rumor that they have one there) to send a project proposal to PC, and those folks in matching white T-shirts were at it again. This time, a big mama turtle came to Cruzinha to lay her eggs, and they measured her and microchipped her and sent her on her way. While we were there, another bunch of little turtle bastards from some other mother hatched, and made their way to the ocean as well. Although my language skills are coming along nicely, I’m still not sure about this, but I think they told me that all these new eggs from the mama turtle are going to die, because she arrived late in the season and for the next 2 months, most of this particular beach is going to be covered by the ocean, and the eggs will drown. As such, tomorrow and the next day, I’m going to be helping them build an incubator? (I confess that my only qualifications for this are some distant and foggy memories of a sixth grade science project wherein I put a lightbulb in a shoebox or some such thing.) They’re thinking that maybe they can care for the eggs in this incubator in town until they hatch, and then set’m all loose. Cross your fingers.

While I was there I also went fishing and caught some humongous Juaque Custeau lookin’ fish. Also, I helped paint a boat. Here are some pics.

Also, my sincere thanks to the mother of another volunteer, who saw my Bar-B-Q sauce S.O.S. and has sent some along in a care package to her son. Thank you! If you happen to be reading this, check back next week and I'll put up a couple of pictures I took of your son during training. Daron happens to be the next closest volunteer to me, I see him in town once every couple of weeks or so, and he’s doing well.

2 comments:

Sharon Christopher said...

Caley....Thanks for the update on Daron....I am looking forward to seeing the pictures...I check your blog daily...Place your order for the next care package...We send one about every two weeks....That will keep you in touch with Daron..Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog and the pictures. It's great to hear that the other PCV Mom's read all the blogs daily like I do. We are so proud of all of you!
Mom of PCV Lauren D. on Fogo