Monday, February 18, 2008

Quick Update. And a Pig.

So just a quick update while I type up more interesting stories. Yesterday Beni and I walked to the beaches in Cruzinha to fly my kite for a while, and I took some pictures. Right now, mar e brop (the Sea is Wild), as they say. Hopefully you can get a feel for it from the pictures. Basically, the waves are huge, the noise is tremendous (you can hear it all the way up the hill in Chan de Igreja). Certain Death to all who enter the water, or at least that’s what the Cape Verdians tell me. Anyway, along the way, we saw a very outgoing pig, had to shout to hear each other over the waves. There is also a picture of Beni at her new job at Botique Elegance, which is going very well.

In other news, my new house (pictures to come soon) has a problem with the ligacao (conection) to the power lines, so mine is the only house in town without power…except for when the whole town loses power. So now I’m going through the interesting experience of trying to find a commandeer a qualified person to fix whatever is wrong. Something tells me that this could take quite a while. In the meantime, I’ve moved everything from my freezer to the freezer at Beni’s mom’s house.

I lost my pen drive, which is the main reason behind the delay in updating the Blog, but my dear friend and gadget guru back home, JW, informed me that my MP3 Player will actually hold pictures and word documents as well, which turned out to be true! Have I mentioned that the MP3 Player is definitely the best, most important thing that I briught with me to Cape Verde? Anyway, my thanks to JW for letting me know…I never would have figured that out.

Some US Congressmen and Congresswomen will be coming to my island on Thursday (Does “yes mam” and “yes sir” suffice, or do you have to say “yes Congressman” and “yes Congressmam?”) I’ve been asked by the Powers That Be to play tour guide, which I’m very much looking forward to. My first foray into international politics! I’m to meet them in Port when they get off the boat and take them wherever they want to go. Hopefully I can talk them into coming to Chan di Igreja and agreeing to build a decent road and a new school, and possibly buying a school bus for the kids that have to go to Coculi. Oh, and one of those electric carts for disabled people. Wish me luck.

OK, more to come soon. Here are some pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Caley......You say "here are the pics", but I can't find them????